- Learn to Swim. We accommodate babies, toddlers and adults in this group.
- We have a baby group. The child should be able to swim at least 50m and has normally progressed from a LTS group. This is for the first time swimmer attempting to develop into a competitive swimmers: training 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- The "baby" swimmer will be promoted to our Junior phase (divided into 2 groups) to accommodate different school times and activities: training 1 hour.
- We then have our Senior Group who has come through the ranks and are capable of training for 2 hours. This group consists of our more serious swimmers. Within this group, we have our Elite or Senior National qualifiers who have dedicated their entire lives to swimming and achieved the ultimate dream "qualifying for Senior Nationals". Elite swimmers are expected to do land training on their own to become more competitive.
- We accommodate social swimmers who do not want to participate in gala's. This is discussed and agreed with the coach.
- Shamu also provides coaching for adult swimmers
Training times may change and will be communicated to all concerned via WhatsApp. The coach will attend other gala's from time to time and no training will take place on these days.
Swimmers starting off are literally learning to swim better (most come from Learn to Swim classes). At no time are these swimmers pushed to develop quickly. Our motto is that a happy child will continue swimming long into the future. These swimmers participate in the odd sprint "fun" gala.
Junior swimmers are encouraged to Register with the Provincial Board Limpopo and to start swimming Age Group Gala's and other championship gala's.
Seniors are treated as seniors and expected to register and participate at all levels, in order to qualify for National gala's.
Elite swimmers are potential National and International swimmers.
We always encourage everyone to look at personal development rather than compare yourself to your friends. Every split improved on a time is a great achievement and you should be proud of it. Medals are not what makes a winner. Commitment and attitude is what makes a swimmer a winning adult.
- Shamu hosts "Chocolate Gala's" from time to time, which are huge fun and all are encouraged to participate. This is basically just fun for some and a time trial for others. These are advertised by WhatsApp.
- Sprint gala's are "open" gala's and anyone paying entry fee and a Shamu member in good standing can participate. Invites are sent out via WA refer to calendar containing all relevant details.
- Age Group gala's are gala's hosted by Limpopo Swimming Aquatics and registration is required (see Provincial Registration Procedure under Joining Procedures). WhatsApp notices as per calendar are sent out. Parents are requested to enter their child and volunteer as official. Coach may change entries at his discretion especially LP Champs, where we participate as a team and not as individuals.
- Swimmers who qualify/and are selected to represent Limpopo Province, qualify for Provincial colours on participation.
- National Gala's - Level 1, 2, 3: Junior Nationals and Senior Nationals are gala's hosted by Swimming South Africa (the governing body of swimming in SA). Swimmers have to swim qualifying times to be able to participate in these gala's and have to swim at least 3 Age Groups and LP Champs during the season.
Chocolate gala's: Johan allocates lanes and teams and each swimmer receives a chocolate at the end of the gala. Swimmers swim 25m events and the evening culminates with a relay. Chocolate gala’s ends with a “Bring & Braai". “Swimming is fun” is the theme for these exciting gala's.
Sprint gala's: Swimmers entered by their parents on electronic link forwarded via WhatsApp. Entry fees are applicable and payable into Shamu account before gala. Entries and any changes are directed to the Shamu Club Data Processor who submits entries to Provincial Data Processor. Parents are requested to volunteer for timekeeping, officiating as well as many other tasks, including catering, etc.
Age Groups: Swimmers entered by their parents on electronic link forwarded via WhatsApp/or on calendar. One parent per family is required to volunteer to time-keep or officiate. The galas take place at various venues as communicated via WhatsApp and entry fee per child (communicated in link) is payable before commencement of the gala.
Club Champs: Swimmers entered by their parents on electronic link forwarded via WhatsApp/or on calendar and entry fee paid before commencement of gala. Here we request that every registered official volunteers for at least one session to spread the load. Support from parents, involving putting up of gazebos, timekeeping, etc.is encouraged. This includes taking down gazebos and clearing up after gala.
Shamu hosted gala’s: Full support from parents, involving putting up of gazebos, timekeeping, officiating, selling food drinks, etc.is expected. This includes taking down gazebos and clearing up after gala. Please volunteer your services.
Provincial Champs: Swimmers are selected by the Provincial body and have to confirm availability. Swimmers are then entitled to Provincial colours. Parents requested to time-keep and details of where and when are communicated via WhatsApp/or on calendar.
National Gala's: Venues are determined by Swimming South Africa and communicated via WhatsApp/or on calendar. Parent involvement: involves Officiating and swimmer support referred to elsewhere.
Entries and lane allocations for the following gala’s: Age Groups, Club Champs, Provincial Champs and National Gala’s are processed by the Provincial Data Processor, based on information received from the Club Data Processor and times on the database.
Shamu swims throughout the year with a short break just after Senior Nationals in April. Swimming starts again early May with a short break between Christmas and New Year. Remember the coach is at pool-deck all year round, so your commitment is what is going to help you and your child to improve his/her times.
For more detailed event information see the Shamu website calendar.
Refer to our calendar for all events for the season May-April of each year.
- The only way your child is going to improve and grow to love the sport is by being exposed to swimming.
- To keep your child motivated, it can't be much fun swimming 2-8km an evening and not being able to gauge yourself against your opposition. If your child is not registered he/she only gets to swim one or two gala's a year.
- To have his/her times recorded on the national database, this again enables your child to gauge his/her improvement.
- To be a part of Shamu team, we try to create a healthy, happy environment for all swimmers, and to represent your team at gala's hosted in the Province and elsewhere.
- To enable your child to see his/her improvement and qualify for National gala's namely Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, Junior Nationals and ultimately Senior Nationals. Who knows, maybe one day represent your country at International gala's.